People often claim the reasons they buy bottled water is because of convenience, supposed health benefits, and better taste. Yet, a majority of consumers cannot identify any valid reasons as to why they choose bottled water over a reusable bottle. In a way, you could assert that filling up a reusable water bottle for the day is more convenient than finding a store that sells bottled water and having to wait in the check-out line to pay. Many studies have shown that using a reusable bottle is not only beneficial for our wallets, but for our health as well.
Here are 5 reasons why not to purchase bottled water
- Bottled water is not any healthier or cleaner than tap water, although the industry may claim
- One plastic bottle can take hundreds of years to decompose; therefore, loading up our landfills for years at a time (Greeniac24)
- Expensive and costly compared to drinking tap water or filtered water from a reusable, biodegradable bottle
- The production of one plastic bottle uses energy, omits toxins into the air, and uses more water to produce than actually put into the bottle for drinking
- Plastic bottles contain a harmful substance called polyethylene terephthalate, or PET, which is dangerous to human health (Greeniac24)
Here are 5 benefits of using a reusable water bottle
- Better for our environment by reducing the amount of fossil fuels and toxins released into the air during production
- Durable, stylish, and can help you decrease your carbon footprint (Greeniac24)
- Tap water is more cost-efficient. Bottled water can cost up to 500 times the cost of tap water
- Better for your health and the health of your family by using a BPA-free, lead-free reusable bottle
- Convenient. Most public facilities have water fountains to fill up your water bottle
Most would think these facts are a no-brainer and the better choice is to have a reusable bottle, yet millions of bottles of water are purchased every day. We all have the choice to make a change for the environment, the economy, and our personal health; we just need to take that step forward and Ban the Bottle.
Ban the Bottle is an organization promoting the environment by advocating bans on one-time-use plastic water bottles. We believe that tap water tastes great and by eliminating plastic bottles in schools, offices and public areas, we can eliminate unneeded waste in landfills. We advocate the use of reusable bottles manufactured by companies like CamelBak and Nalgene.
In addition to banning plastic bottles, Ban the Bottle promotes initiatives aimed at improving hydration for children and adults. We believe that water is the central component to life and staying hydrated can improve performance, health and vitality.