What is the National Health Federation and Why You Should Support Them
Established in 1955, the National Health Federation is an international nonprofit, consumer-education, health-freedom organization working to protect individuals’ rights to choose to consume healthy food, take supplements, and use alternative therapies without government restrictions.
With consumer members all over the world, and a Board of Governors and Advisory Board containing representatives from 7 different countries, the Federation is unique as being not only the World’s oldest health-freedom organization for consumers but the only one accredited by Codex to attend and speak out at meetings of the Codex Alimentarius Commission, the highest international body on food standards.
In the 1950s – fought and won the battle for mandatory inspection of poultry.
- In the 1960s – coordinated a major drive to help chiropractors become legally licensed in over 40 states.
- In the 1970s – waged very successful campaigns against fluoridation.
- In the 1980s – pushed through legislative recognition of acupuncture.
- In the 1990s – lobbied to pass the Dietary Supplement Health and Education Act S-784, fought malathion spraying, promoted public education on the dangers of vaccinations, and continued fighting the fluoridation battle.
- In the 2000s – are working to prevent the Codex attempts to restrict your freedom to take vitamins and minerals and we are currently taking action to defeat the Senator Durbin Bill (S.722) that seeks to restrict DSHEA with his move to require dietary supplement manufacturers to submit Adverse Event Reports, to institute a pre-approval process with the FDA for all dietary supplements that are stimulants, and to re-classify anabolic-steroid dietary supplements as Controlled Substances. The other NHF battles include opposing S.1780, S.1538, H.R. 207 and H.R. 3377 (considered the Son of Durbin bill). We are also supporting health-promoting legislation such as the Access To Medical Treatment Act and a repeal of the Kefauver Amendment of 1962 that gave the FDA expanded authority over drug “efficacy” and thus the ability to play favorites with drug companies. We are fighting alongside other countries against a major health freedom threat, one whose goal is to harmonize vitamin and supplement laws that strictly regulate natural health foods worldwide.
For over 50 years, the NHF has:
- Lobbied in Washington and in state capitals to protect your right to choose alternative health care.
- Protected your right to buy supplements, vitamins, minerals, enzymes, amino acids, and herbs without a doctor’s prescription.
- Provided cutting-edge information on alternative healing through magazines, newsletters, talks, and exhibits at health shows.
- Funded lawsuits to protect rights of alternative doctors, chiropractors, and health-food store owners.
The National Health Federation believes that the following 12 rights and freedoms are basic to all individuals, and they fight to protect these rights:
1. The right to control our own bodies – to decide what food, drink, and medicines to take and use, and what food, drink, and medicines not to take.
2. The right to supplement our diets with vitamins, minerals, herbs, amino acids, and enzymes without government restrictions.
3. The right to receive alternative medicine and treatments (such as those provided by chiropractors, acupuncturists, naturopathic doctors, massage therapists, and clinical nutritionists) without government restrictions.
4. The right of alternative medical practitioners to determine and use those treatments best suited for their patients without government restrictions.
5. The right of manufacturers and distributors of dietary supplements to provide truthful research and label information about the benefits of supplements and other health aids.
6. The right to discuss and disseminate truthful natural-health information. The FDA, the FTC, and other government agencies should not be allowed to prevent health organizations such as the National Health Federation from disseminating this vital information.
7. Freedom from international Codex Alimentarius Commission standards that would greatly restrict all of the above rights on behalf of a small elite that has gained control of governmental health agencies. We view this and other governmental actions as the greatest threats to our health freedom today.
8. The freedom to eat clean, fresh food without pesticides, hormones, antibiotics, poisons, or irradiation.
9. The right to breathe clean air and to drink water free of harmful chemicals such as fluoride.
10. The right to protect ourselves and our children from unnecessary and often dangerous, childhood vaccines.
11. The right of our military men and women to refuse to submit to mandatory vaccines such as anthrax.
12. The right to keep our medical records private and confidential.
To learn more about this important organization, or to become a member please visit: http://www.thenhf.com/index.php