Are Your Pets Getting Too Much Chlorine?

Are your precious pets getting too much chlorine? If you are using regular tap water for your pets, they may be ingesting and bathing in toxic chlorine. I know my cat likes to drink out of the toilet, so we have to keep the toilet lids down.  Chlorine is a known carcinogen to humans, and it only stands to reason, that it could be harmful to your pets as well. There are many other toxins and contaminants that are found in regular tap water that could also be affecting and making your pets sick.

What’s In Your Water?

While the government does have regulations and guidelines for tap water, many known toxins and carcinogens are present. Here’s what might be in your water:

·Chlorine- added to water and used as a bacteria retardant and pathogen deterrent. This chemical can actually react with healthy nutrients to form cancer-causing agents in the body.

·Fluoride- added to water, and believed by some to strengthen tooth enamel, preventing cavities. Recent studies have shown, however, that fluoride can adversely affect organs and be carcinogenic

·Lead- Many cities’ plumbing structures are nearly 100 years old! Is it any wonder that lead may be leaking from old pipes and fixtures?

·Arsenic and Radon- These contaminants enter the water a number of ways, including industrial pollution and run off from fields and farms using pesticides and herbicides.

·Rocket Fuel (perchlorate)- Perchlorate is a very hazardous chemical known to cause thyroid cancer and many other physical problems.

·Bacteria and Parasites- Generally enter through the ground water supply, especially if there is heavy run-off, sewage pollution, landfill, or animal waste. This might include the potentially deadly strains of coliform or e. coli.

Not just dogs and cats

We are not only speaking of cats and dogs here. Pets may include, reptiles, parrots, bunnies, hampsters, farm animals, etc. Smaller pets may be even more susceptable to the toxins found in regular tap water. Clean water is important for pet health in more ways than one:

– Pets regulate their temperature with water.

– Pets drink the water

–  Skin health is regulated by water softening and moisturizing

– Pets may swim and stay in the water for long  periods.

– Reptiles and small caged animals defecate in their water, so it is imperative that you keep the water and food dishes clean and free of contaminants and bacterias.

What’s a Pet Owner to DO?

Obviously, if the water in your home is unsafe for human consumption, we should not be giving it to our pets. Many of the same illnesses and diseases caused by toxic taps apply to pets as well as humans. What to do? If you watch the news, or followed this blog, you’ve probably learned that bottled water is not all it’s cracked up to be. Bottled water has even fewer regulations than city tap water, and often the water you buy in the supermarket is water from the tap, not from the beautiful mountain spring pictured on the label.

Consider a home filtration system

Many reputable water specialists can fit your faucet or plumbing with a filter to remove many of the toxins and chemicals listed.

If you live in a rural area, and have a private well, be sure to have your water checked yearly, specifically for bacteria, lead, pesticides, herbicides, nitrates, and other toxins. Your water specialist will likely recommend a home filtration system.

Using a high quality carbon block water filter for yourself and your pets are important for the safety and health of you both. Multipure drinking water systems have been tested and certified to remove both chlorine, chloramines, arsenic, lead, perchlorates and about 60 other contaminants of health concern. Take the time to research and you will find that there is no other water filter that removes more contaminants than the Multipure water filter. (Make sure to check the contaminats data fact sheets for each model to see which ones remove what contaminants).  Love yourself and your pets. Invest in a high quality drinking water system.

A healthy pet is a happy pet!